What would a mass transit map for Westeros and Essos—The Known World from The Game of Thrones—look like? Michael Tyznik decided to find out and created these wonderful maps that both explain and poke fun of the complicated story lines of the book and HBO series.
Inspired by the work of Cameron Booth and his awesome Transit Maps Tumblr, I created these rail maps of Westeros and The Known World. Hopefully fans will notice some small touches — the closed stations along the Wall Line, for example.
Here’s the starting point. Clicking on the images will take you to a larger, zoomable image.
- We’re at the main station for the city of King’s Landing, viewing a map of “Rail Transport in Westeros”.
- Next, we can view more closely the full transit Routes map and Key of “Rail Transport in Westeros”.
- As you can see, in Westeros, all roads lead to King’s Landing.
- Rail transport even extends to Pyke, on the Iron Islands.
- The Known World has mass transit in Essos, as well. Here is the Key, plus “Routes in Essos”. Based on the map alone, Essos is more sparsely settled than Westeros.
- Please note that the service to Valyria has been discontinued, while service to Slavers Bay and the Gulf of Grief continues.
- Please note the closed stations along the Wall. Castle Black, as always, remains open and on guard. The distance between Winterfell and Castle Black is approximate.
- Last, but not least, is a close up of the Key and “Routes in Essos” from “The Known World” transit map.
These maps are a labor of love. They show a great attention to detail, artistic ability, and creativity. I think these maps are a lovely way to mix reality and fantasy.
What do you think of the transit maps. Do you have any comments you’d like to make?
Valar morghulis, dear readers.
We work hard to serve our clients’ needs so they can solve their technology problems. Our goal is to enable our creative clients to succeed digitally in whatever form success means to them.
Here are three fun facts about me. I consider coffee and chocolate food groups. I am an INFJ. I love longboard surfing.